Sunday 5 October 2008

Bag it up

There’s been a lot of coverage in the press recently about supermarkets getting rid of plastic bags, but I’ve yet to see much evidence of this. They remain as prominent as ever on tills, and I’ve never once been charged to buy one. Could this all this talk just be (gasp!) corporate greenwash?

However, while standing in the till queue at Sainsbury’s the other day, I read about a new text service they’re operating. If you SMS a number with the time and date you go shopping each week, the system will message you a reminder to take an old bag with you, in a bid to stop you having to waste a new one.

As food shopping in my house is random and sporadic, it won’t be that handy for me (unless the system becomes psychic). However, for people that are regular shoppers, it struck me as a handy and environmentally-friendly use of technology. Read more about it here.

1 comment:

Nickbo said...

My local ASDA(s!) now charges 5p for bags - much to the annoyance of a local chav, who announced over her multiple buggies how disgusting she though this was. Clearly she didn't grasp that just because supermarkets once gave us bags for free, they were not obliged to continue this forever, and she didn't look like she'd even ever heard of what the environment might be...